Part 8 - Proposed Public Realm Improvement Works to Market Square, Kildare Town - P82023.08
PART 8 DEVELOPMENT
Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended) – Part XI Planning and
Development Regulations 2001 (as amended) - Part 8
Planning Reference: P82023.08
Location: Market Square, Kildare Town
Proposed Project: Public Realm Improvement Works
In accordance with Part 8, Article 81 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), Kildare County Council hereby gives notice to carry out the following development:
Nature and extent of the proposed development:
The proposed Public Realm Improvement Works to Market Square, Kildare Town comprises an area of c. 6540m2 and incorporates the public areas both North and South of Bride Street (R415), Church Lane (known as Firecastle Lane) extending Westward to Heffernan’s Lane and the pedestrian laneway to Nugent Street carpark (rear of Top Nolans). The proposed works will affect/enhance the character of the Kildare Town Architectural Conservation Area and the Protected Structures located within the project area.
The proposed works comprise the following:
- Adjustments to the road network and parking arrangements.
- Re-grading Market Square, North of Bride Street, Bride Street and the Eastern roadway whereby kerbs are removed to bring the surface of the public realm to top of existing kerb levels.
- Re-grading the entrance area to Market House (RPS B22-42) to provide level access.
- Upgrading footpath surfaces throughout site area using high quality natural stone.
- Widening and revision of the footpath layouts along Dublin Street.
- Introduction of bollards to manage vehicular access at Church Lane (Firecastle Lane) and Market Square East.
- Repositioning of the Bus Shelter on the North side of Dublin Street to improve pedestrian movement and access around Market House.
- Consolidation of wayfinding and signage throughout the site area.
- Introduction of hard and soft landscaping (including 8no. additional street trees) throughout Market Square.
- Introduction of bespoke street furniture, seating, lighting and bicycle parking.
- Provision of 6no. Pedestrian crossings (1no. controlled and 5no. uncontrolled) and widening of existing 3no. controlled crossings.
- Removal of overhead cables and services and relocation underground.
- Upgrading of carriageways, signage, road markings and drainage works including implementation of Sustainable Drainage Systems.
- Provision of all utilities, necessary services and associated site works.
The proposal has undergone Appropriate Assessment Screening under the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC), and the relevant provisions of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended, and the European Communities (Bird and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011 – 2015. Kildare County Council has determined that the proposed development will not have a significant effect on a European Site and an Appropriate Assessment is not required.
The proposal has also undergone screening for Environmental Impact Assessment under the EIA Directive 2011/92/EU as amended by Directive 2014/52/EU and the relevant provisions of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended. Having regard to the provisions of the legislation, the nature and scale of the proposed development, the information provided in accordance with Schedule 7A of the Regulations, and having regard to the scale, nature and location of the proposed impacts, the potential impacts and proposed mitigation measures and the results of the any other relevant assessments of the effects on the environment, Kildare County Council has determined that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and that an Environmental Impact Assessment is not required. In accordance with Section 120 of the Planning and Development Regulations (as amended) any person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, Ref. No. P82023.08, will be available for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy, during normal opening times at Kildare County Council, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F, from 9.00 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Friday for a period of 6 weeks from 17th January 2024 to 29th February 2024 inclusive.
Details of the proposed development are also available on Kildare County Council’s website online at: https://kildarecoco.ie/AllServices/Planning/Part8Schemes/StrategicProjectsandPublicRealm/index.html
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be situated, may be made to: A/Senior Executive Officer, Strategic Projects and Public Realm Team, Housing and Regeneration Department, Level 3, Kildare County Council, at the address below,
or through the 'make a submission' section on this page
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions must be made no later than 5.00 pm on 29th February 2024.
All submissions and observations should be headed:
‘Part 8 Proposed Public Realm Improvement Works to Kildare Market Square, Kildare Town.’
All comments, including the names of those making comments submitted to the Council in regard to the scheme as outlined above, will form part of the statutorily required report to be presented at a meeting of the elected members. Accordingly, they will also be included in the minutes of that meeting and may appear in the public domain.
Strategic Projects and Public Realm Team, Housing and Regeneration Department, Kildare County Council, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F.